Tuesday, November 17, 2015

The Word -Surd

"No the horse thing makes more sense than having a knife I can't get rid of." Kolt argued back. "You're totally surd in it all. If you want the knife take it!"
"And I told you I can't. If I could, you'd be dead."
Oh, Kolt could easily believe that. "So...you want me....because I have the knife. To train me...because of the knife. I don't even know how you know its bonded to me! I got it as a gift, and that's it. I stuck it in a chest and didn't see it until the night you took me!"

Surd -1: lacking sense : irrational 2: voiceless--used of speech sounds.

Added Info -Both "surd" and its more common cousin "absurd" come from the Latin words surdus, meaning "unhearing, deaf, muffled, or dull." "Absurd" traveled through Middle French before arriving in English in the early 16th century. Its arrival preceded by a few decades the adoption of the noun version of our featured word directly from Latin, which referred to an irrational root, such as /3. By the early 17th century, "surd" had gained a more general application as an adjective meaning "lacking sense." In sense 2, the adjective describes speech sounds that are not voiced--for example, the /p/ sound, as opposed to the voiced /b/.

No comments:

Post a Comment