Sunday, April 10, 2016

From the Ashes

"Have you ever watched the sunrise?" I asked when I sensed he was within earshot.
"Can't say I have, Rich." He said settling down on a log next to me. "Do you always choose to watch the sun rise sitting in the dirt?"
I shrugged. "No, just felt appropriate today."
"Appropriate?"
I jerked a thumb behind me. "Not just any person can manage to burn an entire city in one night." I said ruefully.
"If I recall, that was the dragon."
I rolled my eyes. "Dragon, is that what they call it? Not a man gone mad with power?"
"You don't look mad, Rich."
"Mad enough to sit in the dirt."
"Foolish enough to catch a chill sitting in the dirt."
"Like I can get cold." I muttered. I didn't think I'd miss the days I'd spent shivering through the winter nights, hoping to live until morning. It was why I looked out for the sunrise. To know I'd survived another day.
He grabbed my shoulder, shaking it gently. "You can recover from this Rich. All is not lost."
"Tell that to the citizens of Hensville"
"Like I said..."
"Right, a dragon burned their homes to the ground." I shrugged his grip off of me, as I pushed to my feet, brushing myself off. "I guess we'll see if this Dragon, can help build something for once instead of creating more ashes."

-Inspiration....seeing a sunrise in the movie Henry V

No comments:

Post a Comment