Sunday, March 16, 2014

Take Cover!

"Are you going to tell me why we need to take cover?" The human asked, not doing much to speed his progress. If he wasn't part of my other half's pack I would have left him to fend for himself. Besides, it should have been obvious. I glanced back just as a heavy gust of wind slammed into us. "Run."
The clouds boiled over the horizon like a wolf pack after a wounded deer.
Now the human listened. He took off at a run, nearly leaving me behind. I raced after him, but he managed to stay ahead. Stupid human, I couldn't lead him to a safe spot if I was following him.
Well, we are on the track team together, we race all the time, he's competitive like that.
He should learn to lead when it's appropriate. And this human form was clumsily. Slow.
Not if you used to it.
Which I wasn't. I changed to my form, now easily taking the lead with my legs jack knifing back and forth. I could hear the human right behind me, but behind him, I heard it. The sound of frozen water hitting the ground. Hard.
Hailstones
I didn't care about the name.
I turned to my right spotting an alcove in the rock and dove in, panting, the human right on my heels.
Like the tidal wave in the endless waters, the storm hit our spot, sending us into near darkness.
"Whew...next time you say we have to move, remind me not to question it." the human breathed. I could see his grey form leaning against the rock wall of the cave.
I snorted, changing back into the human form so that I could continue talking with him. "Next time, don't wander from your group." I said stiffly, listening to the wind send the hailstones against the side of the mountain. This storm wasn't going to let up anytime soon.

Catchya on the Flip Side!

Danny

No comments:

Post a Comment