Thursday, October 20, 2016

First Encounters

It was the same every day.
I would sit at a table in the food court, grateful to sit down for a few minutes and shove whatever food I happened to grab that day down my throat.
And then a few minutes later she would come sit at the table next to me, her food neatly held in her hands.
We never spoke.
I'm pretty sure she didn't know I existed.
It was probably just her habit that she sat at that table.
Perhaps she'd been sitting there since before I started sitting at my table.
I stared down at the garbage on my tray, not daring to look again.
Great.
I'd just realized. If she'd been sitting there before I'd been sitting there....then she probably saw me as a stalker of sorts.
It would be best to not speak to her.
Continue to pretend I didn't know she existed.
That way, I wouldn't be a creep.
I exhaled, closing my eyes. This was pathetic.
Tomorrow I would sit at a different table.
That way, she wouldn't think I was stalking he--
"Umm, excuse me."
I jerked liked I'd been electrocuted, and winced as I felt my face heating up. "ah..ah..yes?" I said staring up at the girl that I'd just been trying to not think of. How long had she been standing by me?!
She lowered her hand from her mouth, giving me a smile. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean....I was just wondering if you were going to use your fork? I forgot to grab one today."
I blinked, looking at my tray dumbly. A fork? I hadn't grabbed....Oh. There was a fork in its little plastic baggy on my tray. Why in the world was it there? "Oh, sure, go ahead." I said, quickly grabbing it, hoping to not make a fool of myself. "Here." I offered it to her.
She grinned. "Thanks, you're a life saver."
I managed a weak smile back. "No problem."

-Inspiration from seeing a guy and girl sitting near each other but at separate tables at the mall.

No comments:

Post a Comment