Monday, October 31, 2016

Invisible Guide

I stood silently, face shadowed by a deep hood, my arm outreached, lantern in hand. Watching. Waiting.
They would come.
They always came this time of year.
The lost.
And I, I would guide them. If they would follow me.

My breath did not fog in the chilly air, it never did.
No one ever saw me.
Just the light of the lantern I held.
A figment of their imagination.
A guide to keep them safe.
If they believed I was safe.

Once though, just once, it would be nice. Nice if someone would see beyond the lantern. See me.
But that wouldn't happen.
They needed the light.
They didn't need the darkness that resided behind.

"Hi."
I frowned, turning my head in surprise at the unexpected voice coming from my right.
The bright blue eyes of a child looked up at me with a huge smile on his face.
I glanced to the lantern, but the child wasn't looking at it.
He was looking at me.
Why in the world was he looking at me?!
"This is where you say Hi back you know." He continued with a wide grin.
I blinked. "Hi."
He nodded. "There you go, what are you doing out here by yourself? Isn't it getting kinda well...cold?"
I blinked again. He heard my voice, heard me respond. How in the world was he seeing me when no one else could?!

-Inspiration from costume I was wearing and a Detective Conan fanfic.

No comments:

Post a Comment