Monday, October 24, 2016

The Watcher

I leaned against the pillar, watching the crowd in front of me.
They had it so easy. Grouped together, chatting, laughing, having fun.
I tapped my fingers against my sleeve, keeping a small smile on my face, even though I wanted nothing more than to leave the noise, the bustle, the happiness.
I didn't belong here.
But having not driven myself, I couldn't just leave.
I exhaled. Again regretting that I'd let myself be dragged to this farce of socialization.
With my friend being the most social out of everyone, I doubted that we'd be leaving anytime soon. I watched him flit about the pretty girls, easily moving from one conversation to the next.
Oh yes, we'd be stuck here for hours.
He glanced at me, and I quickly pulled the smile back up. If I didn't look happy he'd come over and try to introduce me to whoever he'd just met. For extra measure I lifted my hand in a wave, encouraging him to go back to the pretty face.
It wouldn't of any good to try and get him to leave early.
I'd learned that lesson long ago.
Now if only I could learn the lesson of not letting him convince me to come to these things, I'd be in good shape.

-Inspiration from a Halloween party I went to.

No comments:

Post a Comment